21. November 2013 20:57
Here is Sophos minimum recommendation for safe storage of your users' passwords:
- Use a strong random number generator to create a salt of 16 bytes or longer.
- Feed the salt and the password into the PBKDF2 algorithm.
- Use HMAC-SHA-256 as the core hash inside PBKDF2.
- Perform 10,000 iterations or more. (November 2013.)
- Take 32 bytes (256 bits) of output from PBKDF2 as the final password hash.
- Store the iteration count, the salt and the final hash in your password database.
- Increase your iteration count regularly to keep up with faster cracking tools.
Whatever you do, don't try to knit your own password storage algorithm.